torsdag 17 mars 2011

My dream church

I am actually surprised on the extremely positive response I have got from all the pastors in Gothenburg that I have told that I will plant a new church in town. It is just the right timing. Just a few years ago it might have created a lot of church politics and problems. But now everyone seems to see it as something good! Nobody has ask me why I want to plant a new church. Well, in my book its quit obvious. In a city with 500'000 people (1 miljon in the greater Gothenburg area) there is still a great harvest that needs to be taken in. There are thousands of people that never have had anyone inviting them to a church or a small group of any kind, presenting them with the life changing gospel of Jesus Christ! So there is a need of many more life-giving churches in this town!
But still the question "why" can be a legitimate question. Well, if my first reason would be all people that needs to hear the gospel, my second reason would be "I have a dream"!
The church in Sweden is not progressing as it could. I do not think I have all the solutions to that problem but I do have a conviction. I have a dream about building that kind of Church in which I really believe in. I am sick and tired of a lot of religious, introvert christianity. Super spooky, over charismatic that only have their eyes on them self and their own spiritual needs. We have build a closed environment and culture that alienates us from the world we are suppose to love, serve and win!
I honestly dont know exactly how to build the kind of church I dream about. But I do believe that God dreams the same dream. And if so he will guide us and make it happen.
I dream of a church that is understandable, accessible and attached (not detached) to the world, time and society that we live in. The word "relevant" can be a word many christians think means compromise or focus on the worldly things. But it is of corse a question of definition. But for me it is a very important word that means we actually care that the folks out there understand what we are talking about.
"Attractional" is another word some seems to think is opposite of missional (attractional church draws people to church, the missional church - the church goes out to the people). Don't fish in your own bathtub somebody said. You got to go out to where the fish are. Well, of corse!! But it does not matter if you win them on the street if the church is so introvert and boring that it does not attract them. If the church is without power, love and compassion nobody wants to go there! And for me building an attractional church is an important act of compassion for a lost and dying world. That we actually care for them so much that their culture and way of communicating is important to us.
I see a lot of churches that think that if they modernize their stage with some lights and try to use power points they will attract new people. Thats good, but thats not what will make churches grow. True genuine compassion, real interest in people and a love that want to give more than it wants to get. Thats what I think will attract the modern Swede that never has set his foot in a church before. Lets make it modern, cool, relevant etc.. with all the media tools we have! But in the end it is a living Jesus full of compassion, that does not judge people but embraces them and welcomes them that will attract the world!

Lots of churches starts to understand all of these things but they try to change it on the surface. Thats one of the reasons I want to plant new churches. Because we have the chance of changing our thinking and the way we do church from the very foundation. We can start from fresh and build something new. I love and bless all the churches in Gothenburg. We have some really great churches here. But I do think we will build something different. A church that does not have a vision for all the christians that just wants a new place to hang. But a church build from the very foundation for those that has never sat their foot in a church before.

Of all my heart I do believe it will be awesome:-)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar